Tooth replacement with dental bridge is a fixed method to replace a missing tooth or teeth. A bridge is cemented to the teeth surrounding the space left by the missing tooth. A dental bridge can also be placed on two dental implants. Dr. Elseweifi offers many types of dental bridges in Chicago.
Types of Dental Bridge
A dental bridge can be of several types:
- Traditional bridge: The bridge is made up of two crowns and a replacement tooth (pontice) in the middle.
- Bonded Bridge: The bridge is formed of a replacement tooth (pontic) that is bonded to the teeth on either sides of the space.
Alternatives of a Dental Bridge
Alternatives to a dental bridge are dental implants and removable partial dentures.
Benefits of a Dental Bridge
Missing teeth create gaps in your smile and can affect your dental health. A bridge can:
- Restore or improve your chewing ability and your enjoyment of food.
- Restore your proper speech and pronunciation of letters.
- A bridge for front teeth can restore or improve your smile
- Prevent teeth on either sides of the space and opposing teeth from shifting, which causes decay and gum disease.
Dental Bridge Vs Dental Implants
A fixed replacement of a missing tooth can be a bridge or a dental implant. Both have advantages and disadvantages.
Pros and Cons of Dental Implants
- A dental implants looks and feels more natural than a dental bridge.
- A dental implant preserves the bone by replacing the missing tooth root.
- A dental implant does not need preparation of cutting of adjacent healthy teeth.
- An implant needs surgery to place the titanium root into the bone. Dental implant surgery requires good health and enough bone. Any surgical procedure entails risks.
- Dental implant treatment needs more time for implant healing and restoration.Treatment may take several months.
- Treatment with dental implants is often more costly than a dental bridge.
Pros and Cons of Dental Bridges
- A dental bridge is a non-surgical restorative procedure. It can be used where there is no bone to support a dental implant.A bridge can be used when general health does not allow surgery.
- A dental bridge usually takes two visits and can be finished withing few weeks.
- A dental bridge is often less expensive than dental implants.
- Because a bridge is formed of three connected teeth, it can cause a challenge in home cleaning.
- A bridge requires preparation of adjacent teeth. This may be a concern when adjacent teeth are healthy.
If you are looking for a dental bridge in Chicago, call us today for a free consultation.