Do you have drooping mouth corners? Drooping mouth corners (sad mouth) can make you look sad. The shape of the mouth and position of mouth corners are essential for the beauty and harmony of the face.
Causes of drooping mouth corners
- Over-activity of the muscles at the corners of the mouth called depressor anguli oris (DAO).
- Decreased face height due to tooth loss.
- Loss of skin elasticity due to aging. Loss of collagen causes the skin to sag, forcing the corners of your mouth to droop.
- Drooping mouth corners can be an inherited trait.
Treatment of drooping mouth corners
Before treatment, Dr. Elseweifi of Chicago does a comprehensive exam to determine the cause or causes of the drooping mouth corners. Drooping mouth corners can be treated by Botox, dermal fillers, and/or thread lift.
- Botox or Xeomin can be used to treat drooping mouth corners caused by hyperactivity of the depressor anguli oris muscles. Botox is injected on both sides to weaken the depressor anguli oris muscles and prevent them from pulling the corners of the mouth down. The effect of Botox lasts for 3-4 months.
- Dermal fillers are used to treat drooping mouth corners caused by loss of skin collagen. Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Belotero are used to restore lost collagen. At this site dermal fillers also treat marionette lines and other common wrinkles caused by aging at the corners of the mouth. Some patients may use both Botox and dermal fillers. The effect of dermal fillers lasts for 6 months in average.
- Thread lift can be used to treat drooping mouth corners caused by sagging skin due to aging. Thread lift pulls the corners of the mouth up and give them better support. Thread lift is a procedure in which special threads are injected into the superficial surface of the skin. The skin is pulled over the threads to elevate the drooping mouth corners. The threads are absorbed within 4-6 months while the skin forms new collagen. The new collagen tightens the sagging skin and gives a long term support for the mouth corners.
If you have drooping mouth corners call us at (773) 276-2757 to schedule a consultation.
We are located in Bucktown, Chicago