We offer diagnosis & treatment of bad breath
Treatment of bad breath is one of the services offered by Dr. Elseweifi at Bucktown Dental Associates.
What causes bad breath?
Bad breath is caused by a variety of factors including:
- Food remaining in the mouth - on the teeth, tongue, gums, and other structures, collecting bacteria.
- Certain foods, such as garlic and onions, contribute to breath odor. Once the food is absorbed into the bloodstream, it is transferred to the lungs, where it is exhaled.
- Dieters sometimes develop unpleasant breath from fasting.
- Periodontal (gum) disease often causes persistent bad breath or a bad taste in the mouth, and persistent bad breath may be a sign that you have gum disease.
- Dry mouth or xerostomia may also cause bad breath due to decreased salivary flow.
- Tobacco products cause bad breath, stain teeth, reduce your ability to taste foods and irritate your gum tissues.
- Bad breath may also be a sign that you have a serious health problem, such as a respiratory tract infection, chronic sinusitis, postnasal drip, chronic bronchitis, diabetes, gastrointestinal disturbance, liver or kidney ailment.
- Medications you are taking, including central nervous system agents, anti-Parkinson drugs, antihistamines/decongestants, anti-psychotics, anticholinergics, narcotics, anti-hypertensives, and anti-depressants.
Caring for bad breath
- Daily brushing and flossing,
- Tongue cleaning, and
- Regular professional cleanings, and
- Controlling periodontal disease and maintaining good oral health .
Treatment of bad breath
- Comprehensive exam of the teeth and gum.
- If your mouth is healthy and Dr. Elseweifi suspects that the odor is not oral in nature, you may be referred to your family physician to determine the cause of the odor and possible treatment.
- If the bad breath is due to gum disease, you will need gum treatment.